Avangrid Chairman Ignacio Galán also awarded two prestigious honors this year
Avangrid, Inc. (NYSE: AGR), a leading sustainable energy company and member of the Iberdrola Group, today announced it has earned 12 awards and recognitions in 2023 across all aspects of Environmental, Social, Governance and Financial Stewardship (ESG+F). In addition, Avangrid Chairman Ignacio Galán has been awarded two prestigious honors this year from the Foreign Policy Association and the World Jurist Association.
“Each and every one of these awards is a reflection of our commitment to upholding ESG+F principles in everything that we do,” said Pedro Azagra, Avangrid CEO. “To be a leading sustainable energy company means maintaining socially responsible business practices and pushing the envelope in sustainability and climate leadership. The Iberdrola Group and Chairman Galán have set an excellent example to follow as leaders in this space for more than two decades. I am very proud of the work we are accomplishing together.”
Mr. Galán was the inaugural recipient of The Foreign Policy Association’s ESG Leadership Award for his visionary work and firm commitment to ensuring ESG+F principles are embedded as a core pillar of Iberdrola Group’s business strategy. He was also presented with the prestigious Medal of Honor from the World Jurist Association for leadership in promoting clean energy and ESG+F principles.
Avangrid’s 2023 awards and recognitions include:
- FTSE4Good Index Series, by FTSE Russell: Measures the performance of companies demonstrating strong Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) practices.
- Top Innovator, by Public Utilities Fortnightly: For Avangrid’s Cyber Security Simulation in Metaverse project, which created cybersecurity simulations to help the team update and improve its proactive defense strategies.
- Most Sustainable Company in the Electric Services Industry, by World Finance: For putting green values at the forefront of business operations and showing true commitment to cutting emissions across the company’s entire value chain.
- Best Corporate Governance, by World Finance: For commitment to transparency and ethical principles as the cornerstones of Avangrid’s corporate governance and sustainability system.
- JUST 100, by JUST Capital and CNBC: America’s best corporate citizens. Avangrid ranked second overall within the utility industry and first among utilities for its commitment to the environment.
- Emergency Assistance Award, by Edison Electric Institute: For mutual aid efforts to support power restoration in Nova Scotia following Hurricane Fiona, which caused left hundreds of thousands without power.
- Gender-Equality Index, by Bloomberg: Leading public companies in gender equality, measured across five pillars: leadership & talent pipeline, equal pay & gender pay parity, inclusive culture, anti-sexual harassment policies, and external brand.
- 2023 Sustainability Yearbook Member, by S&P Global: The world’s most sustainable companies. Avangrid was one of two U.S. electric utilities to be named to the Yearbook.
- World’s Most Ethical Companies, by Ethisphere: The world’s leading companies committed to business integrity through best-in-class ethics, compliance and governance practices.
- America’s Climate Leaders, by USA Today: The top U.S. companies that achieved the greatest reduction in their core emissions (scopes 1 and 2) intensity between 2019 and 2021.
- Compliance Leader Verification (2023-2024), by Ethisphere: A rigorous review of a company’s ethics and compliance program and corporate culture.
- Emergency Response Award, by Edison Electric Institute: For the extraordinary restoration efforts of Central Maine Power (CMP), New York State Electric & Gas (NYSEG), and Rochester Gas and Electric (RG&E) following Winter Storm Elliot in December 2022.
About Avangrid: Avangrid, Inc. (NYSE: AGR) aspires to be the leading sustainable energy company in the United States. Headquartered in Orange, CT with approximately $41 billion in assets and operations in 24 U.S. states, Avangrid has two primary lines of business: networks and renewables. Through its networks business, Avangrid owns and operates eight electric and natural gas utilities, serving more than 3.3 million customers in New York and New England. Through its renewables business, Avangrid owns and operates a portfolio of renewable energy generation facilities across the United States. Avangrid employs more than 7,500 people and has been recognized by JUST Capital in 2021, 2022 and 2023 as one of the JUST 100 companies – a ranking of America’s best corporate citizens. In 2023, Avangrid ranked first within the utility sector for its commitment to the environment. The company supports the U.N.’s Sustainable Development Goals and was named among the World’s Most Ethical Companies in 2023 for the fifth consecutive year by the Ethisphere Institute. Avangrid is a member of the group of companies controlled by Iberdrola, S.A. For more information, visit www.avangrid.com.